Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Weekly Blog Post 7!! Woooooo hooooooooooooooo!

This week I had another amazing opportunity that I pounced on when I was offered it! The journalism class was going on a field trip to KHQ and to The Spokesman Review. Not only did I get to learn a lot about both types of journalism needed for these different mediums, I also had my first opportunity to be a chaperone for a field trip. AND, it opened up an opportunity for me next year during my student teaching at Freeman, which is all really exciting.

So the highlight of my week was obviously the field trip. At The Spokesman we got a tour of the old part of the building, that is still all original from the early 1900's, we walked through the writers offices, and sat in on an afternoon editors meeting where they figured out the main articles they are working on for the following days paper. They also took us to the top of the building where there was an outdoor patio for employees to take breaks or write at if they chose. It was all pretty cool.

KHQ was also very interesting to see journalism from a different point of view. They are telling stories too, but with words and images rather than writing. We noted immediately that both the paper and news go about gathering stories much the same way, just their output method is obviously different.

Something I learned this week in the classroom is that as the school year gets closer to ending, the students get more troublesome. And I have heard this said many times before, and also been the student in these situations, but I have been seeing it first time from a different perspective. Even students who are normally fine are starting to check out. And honestly, at times it seems like the teachers are in the same boat. Watching movies and just generally becoming a little more lax as the year comes to a close.

I hope to be able to keep students attention a little better. Though I'm not sure how I would really do that, besides try and be a fun and dynamic teacher. Hopefully this is a skill I will learn with time if I continue to strive for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment