Wednesday, May 22, 2013

WEEEEEEEEEK 8!

Unfortunately, due to strep throat, I only in the classroom for one day this week... And all they were doing was working on packets and watching Canterbury Tales videos. So I will try to make this as interesting as humanly possible, but not promises.

This class seems to work best when they are watching or listening to something while doing another activity like a worksheet. While that is not a style of teaching I am really fond of, it clearly works better for some groups rather than others. It is also the only time they seem to quiet down.

But! While visiting the drama classroom, I was able to help out the drama teacher a little bit. I recored a voice over for her spring production and also recorded a new welcome message to play before performances for her. They were still using the same one I made when I did my play senior year 4 years ago! So, it was kinda fun to be able to update it and keep my presence in the department alive. I'm hoping to help out while I am student teaching as well, since I will be there all the time anyway.

Oh, what I forgot to post about last week! There is a very good chance that I will be able to student teach in the journalism class at Freeman! During my time I would be overseeing two issues of the paper (February and March). So, that is pretty exciting. I have been sitting in on this class occasionally this spring to get a feel for it. Its pretty laid back, but they do have hard deadlines that they are required to meet. It seems like it would be a pretty easy class to teach as the student editors have a lot of the power, but it does become more reliant on the teacher as the publication date closes in with final checks on articles and, the most time consuming, reviewing and editing the layout of paper to ensure it will all print properly and look clean.

A struggle this week was my sickness. I fell behind in a lot of things. I was supposed to teach two lessons that I couldn't be present for. It was pretty terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment